Saturday 21 December 2013

Its nearly Christmas - how has the first term of Year 4 been?

Hello Blogland

Wow - this first term of Year 4 has been a real rollercoaster ride.  We have reached the end of the term on a high - and had some twists and turns and lows in the process.

Year 4 = New Teacher = New Rules....

It took a few weeks of teething problems (nearly half a term) but now I can safely say I think we are all sailing on The Good Ship Lucas together.   Things came to a point, and I decided a 1-1 was needed, and I typed up one of my famous essays (2 pages long) stating my feelings (as I am useless at speaking under pressure) and I can honestly say that meeting (stressful!) was a real success - a turning point towards the sun!

I also arranged to see my Parent Support Worker again at this point (as I was drowning!) and I had a half-hour meeting with her that turned into 2 hours - again fantastic progress! - resulting in her visiting Lucas in school again and working with him personally and discussing his condition with him, positively! with books and structures and ladders to climb.   I think what I learned from this exercise was - if you feel like you are drowning - speak up! - arrange meetings! - speak your mind! - there are no wrong answers, only ways to look to go forward - type up your views and then hand them over - and then doors open and waves calm and everyone progresses and Lucas wins.

Lucas has been changing his goal posts and also getting stressy alot more, especially at school but this is part of the system.

Lucas has been destressing on the Tennis Court - and it is so lovely to see the magic of destress here.

Lucas has been getting good results in his Groups, and on Halloween we progressed and entered him into a Club Tournament - just to see how he would react to the change of conditions - his coach was running it :) and it was at the Club - but it was the first Tournament I paid for him to enter! - he came 5th! - but I told him it didn't matter where he came, as long as he behaved in a proper manner, obeying all the rules and did his best - also saying I would be more proud of him him to come last and play his best than if he won but was naughty and messed around.   Oh I hope this makes sense!.

Long story short - he came 5th - Mel said - but he was wonderful! - his behaviour was impeccable, he was so professional, he got his scoring perfect all times and tried really hard - he was brilliant - RESULT!

(PROUD PARENT!) - That was Halloween.- he was also dressed as a Zombie.

Since Halloween the weather had turned colder, and Lucas had some time off school (ear infections) but he still persevered.  A few more meltdowns, but steps in the right direction.

As he did so well (behaviour-wise) at the Halloween tournament I signed him up for the Christmas one as Mel said it would really do him good.

The day came, and unfortunately he had a really bad day at school! - I think about 3 different events happened and I was in 2 minds whether to pull him out of Tennis that night.  I am so pleased I didn't.   I went along to watch, ready to pull him out and take him home if necessary.   I WAS prepared to do this and told Mel too.   He changed.   As soon as he joined the group for their Tournament Instructions - he changed.   There was a little light above his head - he was in his happy place.  It was wonderful!

He was listening, paying attention, being a ball boy, fetching, carrying, being nosey, being helpful - being in his element! - it was amazing.

Then he played his first match - against the boy that eventually won the event - (10 minute games) the result was 4-4 with a Killer Point decider - Lucas lost - but it was a great match! - I was really impressed! - then I needed to leave him in his happy place and return to pick him up afterwards - he was in his happy place.

He had a 1-1 on Thursday and I discussed the Tournament with Mel.   She told me that she was so proud of Lucas, his behaviour was brilliant, and if there was marks for Technical Merit and Artistic Impression he would have won the day.   Proud Parent!  He also had an amazing 1-1 lesson too.

We know some areas he needs to work on (Thanks Don - I heard what you said during our chat) and we have a Game Plan! - and he didn't want to leave the court.....

I know that many people who may read this come from a wide Spectrum on the Tennis World, but as my experience of being a fan, it is so wonderful for me to see Lucas' "magic" shine through against his condition.
I will use Tennis to fight Aspergers - and the score this term is definitely 6-3!

Best wishes to all

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year













No comments:

Post a Comment