Friday 13 July 2012

A Helping Hand

Hello everyone, I thought I would write a quick note about 2 very useful Visual Aids I have and if any fellow UK ASD Parents read this and do not have them, I recommend them to them.

Since Lucas' Diagnosis, I was advised to apply for a HAND Card, and this is fantastic, it allows discounted child access and free carer access to lots places and in some Theme Parks it also allows Queue Jumping and  gives a "Made to Feel Very Special" status to your child too.  Legoland is fantastic, it has a policy for "Children who cannot queue" and   Many places have extra conditions attached too (bring your DLA letter with you etc) but the majority of places accept them and help make your day a fun one.    Butterly Steam Rail Centre was awesome! - especially when my little Train Enthusiast was taken to meet the Driver - a little dream came true...

The card also helps as a major Visual Support (wow I have been going to TOO MANY COURSES! I am using "Buzz Words" and Phrases automatically now..) when you have a Problem with a "well meaning Member of Public"... one flash of these cards and suddenly "The Busy Body" is your new best friend....

I get very flustered and tongue-tied when under stress, but have found that "one flash of the cards" and my problems get smaller.... they are worth it.

These are the 2 cards that I "won't leave home without"


The 2nd card is just as brilliant - and you can buy these from the National Autistic Society for £2.50 for 50.

It says:
-------------------------------------------------------
"This person has Aspergers Symdrome

* Asperger Syndrome is a lifelong disability that affects social and communication skills

* People with AS may behave unpredictably as a result of their difficulty understanding body language and social skills

*  People with AS are likely to be extremely anxious in unfamiliar situations

*  Please help by being understanding, patient and tolerant

For further information contact The Autism Helpline 0845 0704004 or www.autism.org.uk - it also has the official Logo too
---------------------------------------------------------
a very handy Visual Aid!

I hope this post has been helpful - as these two small pieces of card are very helpful for me.

Best wishes to all

No comments:

Post a Comment